As internet usage has increased, the platforms we use have also diversified. With the rise of online accounts, various security options have emerged to safeguard them. Whether it’s social media accounts or work-related profiles, over time, they’ve started offering two-step verification features. What is Two-Step Verification? This feature requires using an authentication code generated on your registered phone or another trusted device, instead of just your username and password, to access your Google account.
Two-step verification helps prevent unauthorized access to your accounts. When two-step verification is enabled, even if someone knows your username and password, they can’t access your Google account. For instance, if you want to log in with your #Google account information on a device other than the one you’ve authorized, you will also need to enter the authentication code generated on your registered phone or another trusted device.
How to Activate Google Two-Step Verification
This feature is not enabled by default and can be turned on or off as you prefer. We recommend keeping two-step verification active for the security of your Google account.
- Using your computer, open your web browser and log in with your Google account credentials.
- Click on your profile picture in the upper right corner of the screen. From the dropdown menu, select “Manage your Google Account.”
- On the left side of the screen, you will find a menu. Click on the “Security” option.
- Under the “Signing in to Google” section, click on the “2-Step Verification” option.
- On the page that appears, you will find content explaining what two-step verification is. Click the “Get Started” button to proceed to the next screen.
- Enter your current Google account password and click “Next” to proceed to the next screen.
- On the following screen, add your mobile phone number. This is used to send you verification codes when you log in with your Google account on a different device. You can simply choose “Text message” in the “How you want to get codes” section.
- After clicking “Next” to proceed, you will receive a verification code on the phone number you provided.
- Enter this code on the prompted screen to link your phone for Google security.
- Finally, click “Turn On.” The two-step verification feature is now enabled for your Google account.
When you log in with your account information on another device, a verification code will be sent to the phone number you provided. Without entering this code, you cannot access your Google account, even if your username and password are correct.
If you wish to disable the Google Two-Step Verification feature, you can follow the steps mentioned above. Click on the Two-Step Verification option within the Security section, which you activated, and on the new screen that appears, simply click the “Turn Off” button.
We recommend enabling and using this security feature provided by Google to protect your account against malicious individuals who may know your password and username.